"jump", verb, in iron-working

Eric Nielsen ericbarnak at GMAIL.COM
Thu Oct 11 07:27:54 UTC 2012

I found a few occurrences of "jump an axe":

“Ventling went to Bodines to Jump an Axe for J. Johnson”

http://www.bassriverhistory.org/uploads/6/8/7/1/6871754/bass_river_notations-_martha_furnace_diary.pdf
on page 3.

“and he can forge a handsome horse-nail already ; he can plate and temper a
hoe, set a sleigh-shoe, and *jump an axe*;”

http://tiny.cc/ls5zlw

"Jump" seems to refer to a repair of some sort.

A "jump weld" is to join pieces at a right angle:

“In making a jump weld with stock as shown in fig. 35, a short piece of
1-1/4 in. square iron is jumped onto a flat piece 3 X 5/8 in.”

*Hand Forging and Wrought-Iron Ornamental Work*

Thomas F. Googerty

Popular Mechanics Co.

http://www.evenfallstudios.com/woodworks_library/hand_forging.pdf

 on page 61 of the pdf.; page 64 of the publication.

I may be jumping to conclusions, but could it refer to attaching a handle?

Eric