Google Books errors may indicate large changes

Sat Oct 13 23:23:53 UTC 2012

While searching the Google Books database in recent days I have
encountered a large number of 404 errors. Here is a sample error
message:

404. That’s an error.
The requested URL << long URL name excised by me >> was not found on
this server. That’s all we know.

For example, a single search produced links with the following names.
All these links led to 404 errors, i.e., dead ends.

EEI bulletin - Volume 27 - Page 213
The Journal of the Florida Medical Association - Volume 47, Part 2 - Page 922
Protection - Volumes 81-82 - Page 213
Typo graphic - Page 85
St. Thomas's Hospital gazette - Volume 53 - Page 89
Telephone engineer and management - Volume 57 - Page 55

Google is either reorganizing their database index or removing a large
number of periodicals. This might be a manifestation of the
undisclosed provisions of the agreement between Google and publishers.

Garson