fall out (was "From a post to Facebook")

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 15 01:36:22 UTC 2012

On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 1:25 PM, Indigo Som <indigo at well.com> wrote:
> I say & hear "fall out" often enough that I don't think anything of it. =
> I think of generic "fall out" as applying to helpless laughter, but =
> "fall out" can also be applied to other emotionally out of control =
> states, like "fall out in a mess" at a funeral. For me, the lack of =
> control is key to the meaning of the term.
>
> I know I didn't say this growing up. I'm quite sure I picked it up from
> African American peers, probably sometime in the late 80s/early 90s.
> fwiw...

I agree with all of that. But, as is the case with "holler"/"holla,"
I'm  surprised to find it resurrected by people younger than I am,
when I know it as an unhip, lame, old-fashioned expression that my
parents - my father was born in 1901 and my mother in 1913 - used.
When I left the house in 1957, there was no way that I was expecting
to hear either expression ever again.

Youneverknow.

--
-Wilson