mulet/mullet and kankedort

Thu Oct 18 18:07:15 UTC 2012

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 1:46 PM, Luanne von Schneidemesser
<lvonschn at wisc.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Luanne von Schneidemesser <lvonschn at WISC.EDU>
> Subject:      mulet/mullet and kankedort
>
> Can anyone help on the following request, from a WI historian/writer?
> We aren't finding any helpful information at DARE.
>
>   Do you know the word "mulet"?  I'm reading an account of an incident
> in a Wisconsin logging camp from around 1873 and the following sentence
> occurs:
>
> "The mission of the newcomers was usually to mulet (sic) the gullible
> woodsman in one way or another."

Is it possible that the word is mulct? Perhaps the letter c was
printed imperfectly.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/mulct

mulct  (mlkt)
n.
A penalty such as a fine.
tr.v. mulct·ed, mulct·ing, mulcts
1. To penalize by fining or demanding forfeiture.
2. To acquire by trickery or deception.
3. To defraud or swindle.
[From Middle English multen, to fine, from Latin multre, mulctre, from
mulcta, fine.]

Garson