FW: 'Hot seat" definition is wrong (Monday's Rachel Maddow Show)

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at MST.EDU
Thu Oct 18 20:12:02 UTC 2012

Barry Popik shared the following message with a few ads-l members, and with his permission I now share it
with the ads-l listserv.

Gerald Cohen

From: Barry Popik <bapopik at aol.com>
To: rachel <rachel at msnbc.com>
Cc: newsbustersnoel <newsbustersnoel at gmail.com>; doug.ross
<doug.ross at gmail.com>
Sent: Mon, Oct 15, 2012 9:18 pm
Subject: 'Hot seat" definition is wrong (Monday's Rachel Maddow Show)

If you're doing a pre-scripted television segment and need a definition
of "hot seat," wouldn't you look it up in a dictionary? Wouldn't you
call someone who works at a dictionary to get it right? Why would you
guess on the air and tell your viewers that it's one of those American
terms that no one knows anything about?
"Hot seat" has nothing to do with the lighting in an interrogation
room. Most interrogations are in normal room lighting to keep the
person at ease and not to create an additional distraction. "Hot seat"
is an extension from "electric chair." A light bulb in a room making a
seat burning hot--I don't think so. Heck, light doesn't usually
directly hit the seat because someone's sitting on it or because the
seat is shielded by a table.

Barry Popik
Austin, TX
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908/ns/msnbc_tv-rachel_maddow_show#49425263
How would Republicans prosecute rape victims? - Video on - Msn
video.msnbc.msn.com/the-rachel-maddow-show/494252631 day ago – Video on
NBCNews.com: Rachel Maddow surveys the number of ... the term " hot
seat " is one of those american i had yoms (terms--BP) for which nobody
really ... case is maybe interrogation under bright lights so they
would be hot and