Puritan euphemisms

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 24 14:41:50 UTC 2012

> I haven't studied colloquial, secular writing, but I suspect there wasn't
much before -- when? the 3rd quarter of the 18th century?

My impression is that colloquial writing was very rare in America before ca
1830. It was given a boost by an outbreak of relatively informal, often
humorous writing in papers like  The Spirit of the Times__.

What this seems to mean is that everyday conversation in the 18th C. must
have sounded far more "modern" in certain ways [note weaseling] than the
written record might suggest

(Of course that's always the case.)

JL