Puritan euphemisms

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Oct 25 00:26:14 UTC 2012

I did mean American Puritans, but if English Puritans said "Jiminy
Crickets!" or the like, I'd be interested to know it.

Darby's play (or perhaps playlet) was acted in Folkes Tavern in non-Puritan
Pungoteague, Va., on Aug. 27, 1665. He and two actors were arrested for it,
but they were eventually acquitted.   Even before motion pictures,
a Virginia document of 1612 classed "Players" with "Papists" as "the scum &
dregs of the earth."

Nothing more of Darby's play is known.

JL