"waitress mom"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Oct 25 20:15:17 UTC 2012

On Oct 25, 2012, at 3:45 PM, Joel S. Berson wrote:

> Seen in the NYTimes article "Crucial Subset: Female Voters Still
> Deciding" today.  One step down from "soccer moms".  "Blue collar
> women who did not attend college."
>
> I see the Rocky Mountain News, 1991 Oct. 18.  Google News.

Not that they constitute a sought-after voting bloc, but I've always enjoyed the popular bumper sticker in these parts:

PROUD HOOKER MOM

--adorning the bumpers of cars driven by those with children enrolled at Worthington Hooker, one of New Haven's most highly reputed public elementary schools.  It's a nice reclamation of sorts, since it certainly *seems* like they'd be one step down from waitress moms, let alone soccer moms.

LH