filthy

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Oct 26 17:16:07 UTC 2012

On Oct 26, 2012, at 12:54 PM, Joel S. Berson wrote:

> At 10/26/2012 08:45 AM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>> Isn't a slider "filthy" because it's specifically sneaky or tricky rather
>> than broadly "cool" or "sweet"?
>
> Wouldn't one then expect to find "filthy knuckleball"?  They're
> sneakier than sliders, particularly to catchers.  And with the
> current notoriety of perhaps the last of the knuckleballers -- Tim
> Wakefield, who retired this year as the then-current oldest active
> player in the major leagues; and R. A. Dickey of the Mets, who led
> the National League in strikeouts and won 20 games.
>
> But Google gives me only 113 hits for "filthy knuckleball" and GBooks none.
>
> Joel

As mentioned, "filthy knuckler" (with reference to R. A. Dickey) is not unattested, but I admit there aren't quite as maybe as might have been predicted.  Perhaps knucklers are frustrating to hit, which isn't quite the same as those cut fastballs and hard sliders, and perhaps part of that is that the latter fool you by looking like what they're not (especially if they're fast enough) while the former don't look like anything else, including the knuckler thrown the pitch before.  Filthy change-ups apparently proliferate; they are supposed to fool the batter by starting out like a fastball.

LH

LH