"cone of uncertainty" (was Re: "credibility interval")

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Oct 27 03:04:07 UTC 2012

On Oct 26, 2012, at 10:57 PM, Joel S. Berson wrote:

> At 10/26/2012 10:14 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:
>> Not to be confused with the credibility interval is the cone of
>> uncertainty--not an option for the icecreamentally indecisive, but
>> the official label for a big chunk of the map forecasters are using
>> to predict where Sandy will end up making landfall.  I do like the
>> idea--sort of like that cloud of unknowing on the much earlier weather maps.
>
> Somewhat smaller than the cone of indiscretion and larger than the
> cone of silence.
>
> Joel
>
> P.S.  I see there actually exist "cones of silence" in weather
> (radar) talk, and as well (in a different sense) in legal speak.

and political?  Reuniting this with the Frankenthread, we have the (near-)words of the bard:

People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share
And no one dared
Disturb the cone of silence

LH