Somewhat OT: pre-existing

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Oct 28 23:55:26 UTC 2012

I may be missing the point, but isn't it the case that you're required
to undergo a physical exam and, if anything is found to be wrong with
you, you can simply refused health insurance to begin with, because
you have a "pre-existing condition."

In my own case, though it could be easily ascertained that I'd had
glaucoma for at least a dozen years before I sought treatment for it,
my current, ongoing, very-expensive treatment by an ophthalmological
neurosurgeon is, nevertheless. beyond a fifteen-dollar copayment,
fully covered by the Harvard University Health Service plan, even
though I've retired.

OTOH, if my coverage by them had ended at my retirement and I then had
to get my own insurance, my glaucoma would have become a "pre-existing
condition" that no other insurer would have been required to cover
except, essentially, at my own expense.
--
-Wilson
-----