"There's an old saying..."

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Sep 2 16:29:14 UTC 2012

In that case, I'll go further. Honore' was applying his Murphy-style "old
saying" not to military planning but to civic plans for dealing with
Hurricane Isaac. The form of its expression (i.e., its words and
tone) makes it far more broadly applicable than Moltke's
observation specifying "contact with the enemy."

I suspect that if Honore' had run his "saying" past Moltke as an acceptable
paraphrase of the German's pronouncement (which Clausewitz had alluded to
far earlier as the "friction" of battle, which begins to erode plans
immediately), Moltke would have cocked an eybrow and said:

 "You are a ferry egzentrik fellow."

JL