"hat"

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 3 16:20:57 UTC 2012

Is it evolution or simply broadening? "Baseball cap" or "sports cap" are
still quite common. But when mom tells a kid going out in the sun, "You
need a hat!", she doesn't mean that the kid should borrow one from his
Amish neighbor. Under these circumstances, "cap" seems to be a subset of
"hat" as a type of head cover. So is a woolen cap and a balaclava. On
the other hand, a visor with a strap (ubiquitously associated with
accountants and payroll clerks, but also frequently worn by runners) is
not a hat. Is it a "cap"?

     VS-)

PS: I don't think I've ever heard a "yarmulkeh" referred to as a "hat",
but I have heard "cap" used for it (as opposed to the formal "skullcap").