Antedating of "Boondoggle"

Tue Sep 4 09:49:58 UTC 2012

Stephen Goranson wrote:
> [unverified snippet, British Newspaper Archive]
> PRINCE'S CLARION CALL TO WORLD YOUTH
> “... Flowers and Boondoggle. The Prince had numberless gifts upon him. These included case of port wine from the Portuguese, a huge shillelah from the Irish Free State, a ... ”
> Sat 03 Aug 1929, Western Daily Press,  Bristol, England

  Nice work. Can you tell me more about the "British Newspaper
Archive", Stephen? What company offers the database?

Here is a different citation in The Times (UK) with the same date.

Cite: 1929 August 3, The Times (London), Scouting And Peace: The March
Past, Quote Page 10, Column 1, London, England. (Times Digital Archive
GaleGroup)

[Begin excerpt]
The Prince of Wales, after playing nine holes at golf, lunched in
mess, and this afternoon, representing the King, arrived at the Grand
Stand in the rally ground at half-past 2. A very large number of
visitors for the time being augmented the population of the Scout
city. The Prince, who was wearing a boondoggle given him this morning
in the American camp, took his position on the saluting base, and the
great march past began.
[End excerpt]

Typos are likely in this post and previous posts. Please check before reuse.
Garson