Antedating of "D.J."

Tue Sep 4 11:32:47 UTC 2012

Stephen Goranson wrote
> Then there are the (unconfirmed) GB snippets with multiple
> uses of "Dee-Jay" in a short story collection from 1944 (the
> date, at least, checks out), Pedlar's Pack: stories [etc.]
> [Dublin] by Francis MacManus (1909-1965), who, at least,
> was involved in radio. (The words radio, record, station and
> gramophone also appear--whether in the same story, I know not.)

"Pedlar's Pack" contains a short story called "The Winking Dee-Jay."

The story "The Winking Dee-Jay" is in JSTOR. Here is the data:

The Winking Dee-Jay by Francis MacManus
The Irish Monthly
Vol. 68, No. 803 (May, 1940), pp. 267-274
Published by: Irish Jesuit Province
Article Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/20514707

The flavor of JSTOR I have does not allow me to see this full story,
but I can see the front page and I think that Dee-Jay referred to
"District Justice Skelly." So I think this cite may not refer to a
radio dee-jay.

Garson