Antedating of "French Fries" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Tue Sep 4 16:31:01 UTC 2012

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

MCPL apparently only subscribes to a subset of America's Historic
Newspapers.

Compare the master list here:

http://www.newsbank.com/readex/?content=96

with MCPL's list:

http://infoweb.newsbank.com.proxy.mcpl.lib.mo.us/gbnl/newspapers/sourcel
ist/

MCPL seems to only take

Series 2, 3

And is missing
Series 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

MCPL adds and drops stuff occasionally -- in the last year, they've
added Gale Times of London and 19th Cent British Newspapers, but about
two years ago they dropped ProQuest Historical NY Tribune, Baltimore
Sun, and SF Chronicle.

I vaguely recall having checked some time back which of the America's
Historical Newspaper Series they included, and I think it was more than
just the two series above.  I think it was everything except 8 and 9, or
maybe 7, 8 and 9.

As far as Fred's finds, none of them are in series 2 or 3, which
explains why you (and I) can't reproduce his work.

I intend to asks the librarians at MCPL about this -- they've always
been helpful with questions in the past.

Bill Mullins

Behalf Of

----------------------

------
> -
>
> Fred(and anyone else who can help),
>
> I can't access any of your three finds.  I access GenealogyBank
through the
> Mid-Continent Public Library.
>
> What am I doing wrong?  Or, alternatively, what's wrong with my access
to the
> database that allows you to find these while I can't.
>
> Sam Clements
>
> ---- "Shapiro wrote:
> > French fries (OED 1902)
> >
> > 1886 _Springfield_ (MA) _Republican_ 12 Oct. 1 (GenealogyBank)
REMEMBER
> that the place to buy Saratoga Potatoes is at No 4 Dwight-street (near
State),