Breaking doubled consonants into syllables

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 5 03:51:37 UTC 2012

Tom,

You write

"My take is that any consonant starting a stressed syllable becomes
part of the stress and thus would tend to be spoken longer, louder,
and of higher pitch. And that doesn't apply to the consonant after the
stressed vowel"

Actually the opposite tends to be the case.  Syllable-initial
consonants, or onset consonants, tend not to vary much in length while
syllable-final consonants, or coda consonants tend to be longer.  This
is especially true of sonorants, like nasals and liquids, where final
sonorants are clearly longer that initial sonorants.

Herb