Antedating of "Spreadsheet"

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 5 15:50:24 UTC 2012

Fred

Is there a meaning of spreadsheet in the 1981 context that is any way
different from the 1945 context? I ask as someone whose first job after
graduation in 1982 was taking spreadsheets done in pencil on columnar pads
and setting them up in VisiCalc on an Apple III. The function was the same;
the end product was the same. Is it a different word?

I note that the phrase "video game" does merit distinction from "game", but
I think that is a different animal altogether. Am I mistaken?

DanG