Antedating of "French Fries"

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Wed Sep 5 17:51:52 UTC 2012

According to the Times Higher Education Supplement, Harvard is tied for #2 in the world and Yale is ranked #11.

I'm an alumnus of Harvard University myself, and have spent some of the best days of my life doing research in their wonderful libraries, but anyone who cares about libraries should be aware that Harvard is currently working very hard to destroy their library system.

Fred Shapiro

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf of Joel S. Berson [Berson at ATT.NET]
Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2012 1:21 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Antedating of "French Fries"

At 9/4/2012 12:31 PM, Mullins, Bill AMRDEC wrote:
>As far as Fred's finds, none of them are in series 2 or 3, which
>explains why you (and I) can't reproduce his work.

The advantages of being officially connected with the second greatest
university in the world.

I too can't compete with Fred from home, where all I have access to
is series 1 via a paid but moderate cost membership in the New
England Historic Genealogical Society.  (They tell me subscribing to
additional serieses is expensive.)  But fortunately I have enough
affiliation to be able to enter the hallowed libraries of the first
greatest university in the world.

Joel