Additional Information on "The Whole Six Yards"

Bonnie Taylor-Blake b.taylorblake at GMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 8 14:26:42 UTC 2012

On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 9:59 AM, Shapiro, Fred <fred.shapiro at yale.edu> wrote:

> Chronicling America also seems to have a hit for "whole six yards" in the June 28, 1912 issue of the same Kentucky newspaper (the Mount Vernon Signal), but when I try to look at the June 28 newspaper page, I get the error message "Requested resource could not be found."  It seems likely that in that hidden June 28 page is another legitimate usage of "whole six yards," further suggesting some kind of old Kentucky idiom at the root of "the whole nine yards."

Fred, have you tried this alternate link to historic Kentucky newspapers?

http://kdl.kyvl.org/cgi/t/text/text-idx?xg=0;page=simple;g=news

I found the example you shared earlier in the pages of that database.
And here's a direct link to the first page of the June 28 issue.

http://kdl.kyvl.org/cgi/t/text/pageviewer-idx?c=mounews;cc=mounews;q1=mou%2A;rgn=works;idno=mou1912062801;didno=mou1912062801;view=pdf;seq=1

I'm hoping you can get to all four pages of that issue at the following link.

http://kdl.kyvl.org/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=mounews;cc=mounews;q1=mou%2A;rgn=works;view=toc;idno=mou1912062801

-- Bonnie