antedating "greasy spoon" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wed Sep 12 19:19:35 UTC 2012

Bill.Mullins wrote:
> Stephen's find is in one of the Series of AHN that GenealogyBank doesn't
> carry (alluding to the problems Sam Clements and I had a week or so ago,
> in reproducing Fred Shapiro's antedatings of "French Fries".)
>
> This is kind of bothersome, in that pretty much everything I've searched
> for in AHN since subscribing to MidContinent's library stands a
> substantial chance of being antedated or otherwise incomplete.

NewsBank, Inc. has a consumer-facing website at GenealogyBank.com with
annual subscriptions. The standard rate seems to be $69.95 a year.
This is remarkably inexpensive when compared to consumer-facing
ProQuest, for example. In fact, I do not know how to gain access to
some ProQuest databases (or NewsVault databases, etcetera).

Of course, $69.95 is expensive when compared to $0.00 and when
compared to some library membership rates.

The citation found by Stephen is included in the database available to
direct subscribers.