Greasy Spoon -- message from Barry Popik

Thu Sep 13 03:32:38 UTC 2012

Apologies for not looking in the indispensable location: Barry's
website. And Barry is tops on food-restaurant related terms. Great
research. Thanks for forwarding it to the list, Jerry. Here is an
early cite that seems interesting:

Cite: 1850 September 03, The Times (UK), Issue 20584, State of Europe:
France, [Paris Correspondent's Letter], Page 6, Column 2, London,
England. (The Times Digital Archive GaleGroup)

[Begin excerpt]
There are but two houses that assume the name of hotels, one very bad,
and the other a great deal worse. On the latter the officers have
bestowed the name of "the greasy spoon," the constant state of this
article being taken to indicate the condition of everything else. Here
the military dine and grumble daily, but can effect no improvement.
[End excerpt]

Garson