Expressions with Number Variation

Fri Sep 14 00:20:26 UTC 2012

I have a recollection of the top-money question on Pyramid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyramid_(game_show)) as yielding something like, "That's the $10,000 question," but I think that's completely given way to "million-dollar question."

I was going to claim that inflation has stopped there, but Googling reveals that I'm out of touch as "billion-dollar question" gets 1.1 million raw Googits.

However, just looking at the top few hits, it seems that billion-dollar question (and trillion-) refer to issues where a X billion (or trillion) dollars are at stake. Googling further, I find a minor number of hits all the way through decillion, with "nonillion" missing. There seems to be a block that prevents people from using that number, perhaps because we have octopuses and decathlons but not nonopuses or nonathlons.

Benjamin Barrett
Seattle, WA