Q: Using the OED's "not yet been fully updated/has been updated" dates?

Arnold Zwicky zwicky at STANFORD.EDU
Sun Sep 16 13:37:24 UTC 2012

On Sep 16, 2012, at 4:12 AM, Dave Wilton (responding to Victor Steinbok about the OED's "collocation" entry) wrote:

> I wouldn't use the word "untrue." The statements are correct. The entry was
> first published in 1981

that is, 1891

> and it hasn't been *fully* updated. They're just not
> complete or detailed.

yes, "hasn't been fully updated" implicates that it has been updated (in OED2) to some extent.  in some cases, it looks like this implicature is *not* an implication; some entries in OED2 seem to have been carried over unrevised from OED1.

arnold