"fatwa" not listed in Oxford English Dictionary

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 18 18:25:25 UTC 2012

Well, OED3 does have mentions of fatwa, but no entries. Definition of
mufti 1. [partial]:

> A Muslim cleric or expert in Islamic law empowered to give rulings on
> religious matters, /esp./ a legal scholar competent to deliver a fatwa.

There also 5 quotations, under Indian-born (C. under Indian adj. and
n.), mulla, parastate, pressurize (Iran, in this case), and rescinding.
The dates range from 1991 to 2003, which is far too late to be
reasonable early use.

VS