Bad behavior as detritus

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Sep 19 13:27:08 UTC 2012

In an article in the Boston Globe reporting the arrest of Atlanta
Falcons running back Michael Turner for drunken driving and speeding
"just hours after he scored a touchdown", coach Mike Smith is quoted as saying:

"First and foremost, any time a player sheds negatively on our
football team and on our organization, we are very disappointed."

"Sheds negatively" seems odd in itself.  (Casting off
electrons?)  More disturbing is the comparison of an alleged criminal
act with the flaking of skin, and the belief that the worst sin is
giving the team a negative images.

(Smith did go on to say "This is a legal matter, and it's very
well-defined how we have to proceed with it through the league, and
we'll let this process run its course."  But still, he says nothing
about the seriousness of the alleged offense.)

Joel