(Canadian) shit-disturbers

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Sep 21 17:48:11 UTC 2012

On Sep 21, 2012, at 11:52 AM, Ben Zimmer wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 11:42 AM, Arnold Zwicky wrote:
>>
>> On Sep 21, 2012, at 8:32 AM, Laurence Horn wrote:
>>
>>> --LH, wondering why my posts sometimes end up in 3D
>>
>> well, =3D, each of these an encoding of the ASCII character =.  i assume
>> that what you typed was a line of ='s separating parts of your text.
>
> As I believe we've determined in the past, this weird ASCII encoding
> issue occurs when the poster's email service is set to send outgoing
> messages in rich text rather than plain text. If the message contains
> a URL, the messiness ensues, while other messages look fine. (This is
> true of Larry's posts.) And on the receiving end, the messiness only
> appears in email form -- the online archive seems to handle those
> messages no problem.
>
> --bgz

Thanks.  I've just switched (I think) my preference by locating (I think) the relevant file.  I didn't use(d?) to have a problem with this back when I used Eudora but in being forcibly upgraded to (Apple) Mail, I must have inherited Rich Text as a default.  Hopefully the problem will now be solved by countermanding the default.  Let's see if that works for another new (to me) item I was going to mention as a potential WOTY candidate, "Apple picking" (discussed on ABC's World News Tonight last night).  Feedback on whether this is now 3D= free will be appreciated.

=======
http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/national/officials-smartphone-thefts-fastest-growing-crime-in-us

CLEVELAND - Officials across the country are warning consumers about the rise in iPhone thefts, dubbed "Apple picking."  According to police reports, the thieves, many of them juveniles, would either ask to borrow the victim’s cell phone and run off with it or simply grab it from their unsuspecting victims.

=======
LH