"jews harp engine", 1845

Fri Sep 21 21:21:50 UTC 2012

Journal: Steamboat Bill (visible in a snippet) Journal of the
Steamship Historical Society of America says GB
Page: 176 (visible in a snippet)
Volume: 45 says GB
Issue: Range 185-188 says GB
Year: 1988 says GB

The odd spelling "engien" is visible in a snippet.

[Text extracted from more than one copy. Errors possible.]

The New York Herald, in the launch of
Stevens' iron steamboat, mentioned that it was to have "what
is known as the 'Jews Harp' engine." Taken together, these
mentions of 'harp' were the first solid indication the writer
had of which version of the steeple engien Stevens used.
The article in the Franklin Institute Journal described the
engine as follows: "Her engine is of the kind, known as the
steeple engine, improved by the addition of double connection
rods, with vibrating cross head, which passes through
the main cross head and works upon guides; by balance
valves fitted with expansion gear to cut off the steam at from
1/4 to 2/3 of the stroke of the piston, and also by an
improvement in the air pump bucket, which has a circular
double-opening valve.

[End of extracted text]