apparently I'm a bigoted hypocrite

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Sep 28 01:09:21 UTC 2012

On Sep 27, 2012, at 7:58 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> Ignore. Because your correspondent has already missed the point, you'll
> only be talking at cross purposes.
>
> He thinks you're saying "If it feels good, do it."
>
> It sounds as though his students are extremely unprepared to compete for
> jobs requiring a confident command of standard English (maybe especially in
> writing) and he's mad because you're implying that there's no quick fix.
> (I mean,  "no easy way to remedy the situation.")  So that's translated
> into an inference that you're saying almost anything goes -  because the
> kids have to rely on their own language savvy. (I mean, "sense of
> situational appropriateness.").
>
> If there's one thing I've learned from watching TV commercials, there's
> always a quick fix.

Especially when the commercials air during pre-election season.

> Anything else would be un-American.  So find a quick
> fix!

For example, if you find yourself tempted to end a sentence with a preposition, just put a ", darling" at the end. Or, if you prefer, ", you dolt".

"What are you looking at, darling?"
"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something I won't put up with, you dolt."

If you can't decide which strategy to apply, flip a coin. Works every time.

LH