[VAR-L] The Britishisms are coming

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 28 07:24:07 UTC 2012

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 11:10 AM, Arnold Zwicky <zwicky at stanford.edu> wrote:
> generally not used in Southern/Southwestern varieties

FWIW, as I've noted probably too many times already, at one time, the
first and, at one time, the only American that I personally knew to
use a glottal stop in his speech, whether unmonitored or monitored -
"Man, I don't use no glo?al stop!" - was a native of Holly Springs,
Wake County, North Carolina, whom I met in January of 1961.

Of course, "one swallow does not a summer make," to coin a phrase.

--
-Wilson
-----