"old soul"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 28 14:32:14 UTC 2012

He was a "merry old soul,"  not a "merry old-soul."

Of course, if I want to understand it the cool New Age way, you can't stop
me. Or any of the millions of tots who will soon be taught the rhyme in a
world where "old soul" is in common use.

BTW, there was a commercial a three or four years ago in which a singer
described herself as a "very young soul."  It may have been an actual smash
hit that I've never heard of, utilized for its instant recognizability.

JL