"pack" and "crack" (types of gerrymandering)

Sun Sep 30 03:27:57 UTC 2012

Here is a beginning for the trace: a 1962 article in JSTOR containing
three terms for manipulating the redistricting process: cracking,
packing, and stacking. The article cites a series in the New Republic
by the same author that might use the same terms. The series was
published in 1954.

Title: Court versus Legislature (The Socio-Politics of Malapportionment)
Author: Gus Tyler
Journal: Law and Contemporary Problems
Volume: 27
Number 3,
Issue tile: The Electoral Process: Part 2
Date: 1962 Summer, 1962)
Start Page: 390
Quote Page:  400 and 401
Published by: Duke University School of Law
JSTOR Article Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/1190586

[Begin excerpt]
In the United States House of Representatives, an urban majority is
converted into a legislative minority by the time-polished techniques
of "cracking, packing, and stacking" districts. The "cracked" district
is the huge metropolitan center, torn apart into separate pieces, each
of which is attached to and outvoted by a surrounding rural
hinterland. The "packed" district is the one with a concentrated urban
population containing two or three or even four times as many
inhabitants as a neighboring district. The 'stacked' district is the
child of the gerrymander, a delicately carved creature, resembling
nothing more than the partisan and rapacious soul of his political
creator. 33

Footnote 33: A fuller description of the various types of gerrymanders
 may be found in Tyler, The House of Un-Representatives (a series),
The New Republic, June 21, 1954, p. 8; id. June 28, 1954, p. 14; id.
July 5, 1954, p. 13.
[End excerpt]

Text may contain typos and other errors.

Garson