[lg policy] The great language change hoax

Mon Apr 1 21:42:30 UTC 2013

Glad it's a hoax, though I've heard people say as much--but then I've heard one person at a Scottish conference say that Scots is a direct descendant of Ancient Egyptian, too.

Reminds me of what some Greeks say, when they say Ancient Greek was pronounced exactly the same as the modern language.  Granted, the "classical" pronunciation is a reconstruction, but there were Greek grammarians who at least give clues.  I got into an argument with one guy because, in my paper, I used the term "koineization" and pronounced "koine" as in the usual Ancient pronunciation system, and was told, no, it's "kyae-NYEE", and that's what Pericles would have said.  I said, "OK, now explain the spelling."  He said, "You explain YOUR spelling, you're an English speaker, and your spelling is crazy."  And so it goes.