stroganoffed

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 3 01:14:56 UTC 2013

Try
Elizabeth Stone, "A Mme. Curie From the Bronx". NYT Magazine, April 9, 1978
and
Carol Kahn, "Rosalynd Yalow, Bronx Housewife: She Cooks, She Cleans, She
Wins the Nobel Prize". Family Health 10 (June 1978):24-27

Not sure how accurate the references are--these are secondary citations.

The poorly written biography by Eugene Strauss appears to emphasize
Yalow "housewiferly" qualities--more the aspect of her life that she
felt compelled to run a "proper" Jewish home while being a scientist.

In June of 1978 Yalow had declined a Ladies' Home Journal award for
Woman of the Year and argued in a letter (published as an OpEd in NYT
June 12) that separate awards for women scientists were discriminatory.
This prompted Lenore Hershey to issue a rebuttal on the pages of the
Journal. Strauss and some of the other biographers have ignored the episode.

     VS-)