Condoms in Rochester

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Apr 11 03:24:04 UTC 2013

Now that I see Farmer & Henley:

Knowing a little about books attributed to
"Rochester, Roscommon, and Dorset", I infer that
the "Panegyric upon Cundum", although italicized
in F & H, is not a book but something (likely a
poem) within a collection.  There are several
_The Works of the Earls of Rochester, Roscomon
[sic], and Dorset, the Dukes of Devonshire,
Buckinghamshire, &c. : with memoirs of their
lives_, one dated 1777 (not 1767, although
perhaps there is an edition of that date
also).  So F & H presumably did not misdate
Rochester, but at worst only an edition of R, R, and D.

F & H missed earlier editions of R, R, and D.

A 1752 edition is available in Google Books, and
it does contain "A "Panegyric upon Cundum", with
a suitable quotation, identical to the OED's 1728 quotation:
   1728   W. Kennett in W. Pattison Cupid's
Metamorphoses 307   Happy the Man, who in his
Pocket keeps, Whether with Green or Scarlet Ribband bound, A well made C­­.
except that R, R, and D spell it out fully.

There are earlier collections of R and R's poems
(some without D, some with other titles), going
back to 1701.  One is 1739 (No preview, but in
ECCO), which Google Books also "hits" with
cundum.  One might search ECCO to see if the
OED's ?1706 / 1708 can be antedated.

As with other items within these collections, I
think it is not always the case that Rochester
wrote what is attributed to him in them.  And if
he did indeed write the "Panegyric", although it
would then antedate the OED (Rochester died in
1680), it probably was available only in manuscript.

(The 1665 attribution mentioned by Larry is a bit
suspicious, let alone probably without any solid
evidence -- John Wilmot, 2nd Earl of Rochester, was only 18 that year.)

Thus no antedating of the OED into the 17th century, I conclude.

Joel

At 4/10/2013 08:28 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:
>On Apr 10, 2013, at 2:00 PM, Joel S. Berson wrote:

> >> I don't know about collections, but Farmer &
> >> Henley (1890-1904) list such variants as "French
> >> letter", "Spanish letter", "Italian letter", and
> >> even "American letter", as well as "capote
> >> anglaise" (English overcoat), 'usually described
> >> in print as "specialities" or "circular
> >> protectors"', but with no cites. The entry for
> >> "cundum" curiously lists this as "an obsolete
> >> appliance worn in the act of coition
the modern