FW: Why does Wikipedia have 1825 for "spelling bee"?

Tue Apr 16 17:43:39 UTC 2013

It is conceivable that someone misread the 1875 date as 1825. Ben
mentioned that the OED has cites from 1875. The digits 7 and 2 can be
easily confused. (I did not see an antedating of 1850 for "spelling
bee" in Times (UK) Digital Archive 1785-2006 or Nineteenth Century
British Library Newspapers (GaleGroup) but more than one person should
look.)

The Scripps National Spelling Bee website has a webpage with the title
"Origin of the Term Spelling Bee" and it mentions the 1875 date, too:

http://www.spellingbee.com/origin-term-spelling-bee

[Begin excerpt]
Spelling bee is apparently an American term. It first appeared in
print in 1875, but it seems certain that the word was used orally for
several years before that.
[End excerpt]

Here is a link to Barry's entry on "Spelling Bee (Spelling Match)"

http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/spelling_bee_spelling_match/

Garson