The Powers That Be

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Apr 17 14:14:02 UTC 2013

W. Brewer's analysis of the mood in Greek and Latin seems strong
evidence -- no ambiguity of English "be".

I too take it as declarative -- "the powers that exist".  Looking
into the entire chapter, it seems to caution those that are subject
to obey those that have power -- God, "rulers" (13:3), and "God's
ministers" (13.6).  [KJV]

13.1 in full is "Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers.
For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of
God."  I note the "there _is_".

And 13.7 seems to apply subjection to temporal matters: "Render
therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom
to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour."

(I suspect that "rulers" was taken by some to include "kings by
divine right".  And one can imagine what "tribute" and "custom" and
"dues" were conjoined to mean.)

Joel