How to say "either" and "neither"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Apr 22 03:53:29 UTC 2013

On Apr 21, 2013, at 11:06 PM, Tom Zurinskas wrote:

> Several times on TV news for "either" I've been hearing EYE-ther instead of EE-ther which is what the dictionaries say is US accent and what I'm used to.  Is someone promoting EYE-ther.  Perhaps UK.

I'd say invest in some new dictionaries.  The ones I have list both pronunciations; either seems natural to me.  The /i/ pronunciation is more frequent in the U.S. to be sure, but variation doesn't mean a plot, or even a promotion campaign.   Maybe, as the song suggests, you could call the whole thing off.

LH