Exposed!: Famous ungrammatical quotes!

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 25 16:26:23 UTC 2013

John McPhee in the April 29 _New Yorker_ (pp. 34-35) protests that there
*can* be (my emphasis) "situations...wherein words or phrases lie between
the specific object and the clause that proves its specificity, and would
call for the irregular restrictive which."

But very rarely! In one hundred thousand words of his own writing, he dared
it only three times! He cites Leviticus as precedent, though in the passage
cited *no* words or phrases lie between the elements.

I like "irregular." "Specific object" instead of "specific word" is good
too.

JL