gallon, tempo

Mon Aug 5 09:32:58 UTC 2013

It's been more than 30 years, now, but I recall my grandmother saying she needed to pick up a little (small?) quart of milk and my brother suggesting a big pint instead.

Isn't an easier solution to say that measurements can refer to containers, just like contents can (a beer = a bottle of beer)?

I also recall when Matanuska Maid had a production problem around 1978 that resulted in the gallon containers of milk being spoiled right after that size had been introduced. As a result, they pulled the gallon-sized milk from the shelves for quite a while before reintroducing them. My memory isn't good enough to recall, but surely what people said was, "Pick up two half-gallons of milk."

FWIW
Benjamin Barrett
Seattle, WA

Learn Ainu! https://sites.google.com/site/aynuitak1/videos