the nit and gritty

Charles C Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Wed Aug 7 17:39:44 UTC 2013

But "kitten corner" seems best analyzed not phonologically but just as somebody's effort to render "kitty cornered" in a more formal style.  (There is probably an English teacher somewhere who decrees that the word "kitty" is "incorrect"!)

--Charlie

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf of Laurence Horn [laurence.horn at YALE.EDU]
Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2013 1:13 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

So besides the earlier shifts we've discussed, resulting in "kitten caboodle", "tender lovin' care", "in this day in age", "puss and boots", "black and red fish", "at one's beckon call", "Chip 'n' Dale furniture", "clean shavin'", and of course both "spittin' image" and "spit 'n' image" (from original "spitten image", as we all know), all of which at least have the excuse of preserving the (reduced) phonology, we now have to allow for "nitty" > "nit 'n'"?  Any other reanalyses of this form?  Maybe "kitten corner" as in:

"This is a cute little ice cream shop in East Sac, kitten corner from McKinley park. The owner was super helpful and let us try out different flavors."
http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=the+corner+cafe&find_loc=Sacramento%2C+CA&cflt=desserts

LH