chatter

David Barnhart dbarnhart at HIGHLANDS.COM
Mon Aug 12 13:22:47 UTC 2013

Chatter is found in ANW 74.3 (1999) meaning "participant in an online
bulletinboard" (I suspect not the sense meant hear, see the quote):

1997 Nov 17 Jim Pawlak _Detroit Free Press_ 12F/1 Real-time "conversation"
allows chatters to share problems, give opinions, vent, ask question and get
answers.

DKB

barnhart at highlands.com

Wilton wrote:
"Chatter" has been around signals intelligence community for quite some
time, long before the internet became a thing. My guess is that "radio
chatter" would be the original, going back to WWII, if not earlier. I've
turned up a few instances of "chatter" used in connection with radio
transmissions in Tom Clancy's 1986 "Red Storm Rising" and his 1988 "Cardinal
of the Kremlin." I'm sure antedatings can be easily found.