Is "now, ..." the new "well, ..."?

Mon Aug 19 20:28:07 UTC 2013

Nice subject line!

This use has always made me curious. Wiktionary describes it as: Used to introduce a point, a remonstration or a rebuke.

The OED says "with temporal sense weakened or lost":
-----
In sentences expressing a command or request, or in a question, giving any of various tones (exclaiming, reproving, soothing, etc.).

Introducing an important or noteworthy point in an argument or proof, or in a series of statements.

Used at the beginning of a clause, or question, or elliptically in a question, with emphatic or rhetorical force.
-----

If this is a growing trend, it could be a result of hype that news programs often try to create (i.e., they are using "now" to emphasize the importance of their story). If Al-Jezeera's promise to deliver real news pans out starting tomorrow, they might then use this word less often.

As an aside, the similarity of this use to the Japanese nao is a fun curiosity.

Benjamin Barrett
Seattle, WA

Learn Ainu! https://sites.google.com/site/aynuitak1/videos