Counting by 10s vs. 20s

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Aug 22 19:32:00 UTC 2013

I wouldn't call it a vigesimal counting system, nor would I say that (French) French counts the numbers by twenties based on a couple of quirks.  There's just one instance of a twenty showing up unexpectedly: "quatre vingts" ('four twenties') for '80' and as a component of numbers up to 99, which is thus "quatre-vingt-dix-neuf" or 4 x 20 + (10 + 9).   There's an equally weird instance of 60 featuring in numbers between 60 and 79 (soixante-dix-neuf, or 60 + (10 + 9).   But it seems to be that a really vigesimal system would insist on "trois vingts" etc., not "soixante".

LH