Counting by 10s vs. 20s

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Aug 23 01:26:02 UTC 2013

At 8/22/2013 04:02 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:
>On Aug 22, 2013, at 3:57 PM, Joel S. Berson wrote:
>
> > At 8/22/2013 03:47 PM, Geoffrey Steven Nathan wrote:
> >
> >> It is vestigial in modern French,
> >
> > Otherwise known as the vestigial vigesimal, of course.
> >
> > My question is not really about how pure it is in
> > French, nor where it arose and spread to.  But
> > rather, *why* did it arise?  Lost in prehistory,
> > but that has never discouraged speculators.
> >
> > Joel
>
>Back then the French mostly went around wearing
>sandals, which made it easy for them to keep
>track of their counts with toes as well as fingers.  Speculative enough?

That's similar to the speculation in my original
message ("Did  European serfs of colder Northern
Europe wear shoes, while the peasants of warmer
Southern Europe went barefoot?").   And the
similar "speculations" Ben pointed us to about
the octal and duodecimal systems seem correct, as
they are used in finger-counting systems
today.  I suppose hexadecimal could be attributed
to counting the ends of the finger bones, 4 ends
(of three bones) on each of 4 fingers.  Things I
had not speculated about before.

Joel