"Baby killing trial prosecutor: Video doesn't lie"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Aug 30 20:32:30 UTC 2013

On Aug 30, 2013, at 3:16 PM, Dan Goncharoff wrote:

> I don't assume the "Video doesn't lie" is a quote from either the baby or
> the prosecutor. It could be a comment from the headline writer.
>
> DanG

Cf. the dictum of the recently retired Rasheed Wallace, a.k.a. Sheed.  This is shouted after one (or one's teammate) is called for a foul that one is convinced one didn't really commit.  The fouled player misses his free throw, after which Sheed would call out "Ball don't lie!"  Presumably, if the player sinks his free throw, the ball is fibbing a bit.

I see "Ball don't lie!" has its own urbandictionary listing, which explains, "The ball is, essentially, the unbiased judge who will not reward the player by going in if the apparent foul was indeed bullshit."  But alas, it's too late for a QOTY candidacy.

LH