"Baby killing trial prosecutor: Video doesn't lie"

Neal Whitman nwhitman at AMERITECH.NET
Sat Aug 31 19:47:40 UTC 2013

This discussion reminds me of a Linguistics Olympiad problem from a few
years ago that I sometimes do with kids I coach. It's about compound
nouns in Japanese, in which different hierarchical structures like those
we're discussing here are marked morphologically (at least, they are
when the final consonant of a root is voiceless and can therefore become
voiced). It starts with 2-element compounds to introduce the rule, then
has contestants provide English translations of 3-element compounds with
their English meanings. For example, two of them could be translated as
"fake raccoon soup", but the contestants have to be more specific and
translate one as "fake soup made with raccoons" or "soup made of fake
raccoons". (This is where you can tell the examples have been carefully
chosen to show the rule at work.) Then, for the true test, part three of
the problem has a 4-element compound: fake+paper+shelf+maker. There are
5 possible bracketings, but only 4 phonologically distinct surface
forms, and the students have to match them all up, including the
ambiguous case. I've shown the bracketings and translations below, but
in the problem, they just provide the translations and the surface forms.

[[[FP]S]M]"maker of shelves for fake paper"
[[F[PS]]M]"maker of fake shelves for paper"
[F[[PS]M]] "fraudulent maker of shelves for paper"
[F[P[SM]]] "fraudulent shelf-maker made of paper"
[[FP][SM]] "shelf-maker made of fake paper"

You can look at the original problem here:
http://www.naclo.cs.cmu.edu/assets/problems/NACLO08f.pdf.

Neal