Word: affluenza

Thu Dec 12 20:13:42 UTC 2013

Thanks Jesse and Christopher. Great to see the OED entry. Here is an
entertaining instance in 1908 revealing another attempt to assign a
meaning to the term. The article referred to "The Beloved Vagabond"
which Wikipedia claims is a 1906 novel by William John Locke.

Periodical M. A. P. (London Mainly About People)
Date: March 21, 1908,
Article title: The Money-lending Industry,
Page 270,
Location: London, Middlesex
Database: NewspaperArchive

[Begin excerpt]
The Money-lending Industry.

The tragedy of the journalist is the fact that he has no
fixity of tenure. To-day he may be suffering from what
my friend Mr. Locke, in The Beloved Vagabond, justly
characterises as  "affluenza." To-morrow he may be in a
doss-house. I may explain that I am referring to the
higher ranks of journalism, for in journalism there is always
plenty of room at the bottom. I  know  that  Scottish
journalists  preach  prudence, providence, and parsimony to
journalists of other nationalities. But Scotsmen can afford
to  be  provident, prudent, and parsimonious, because  you
cannot borrow money from a Scotsman.
[End excerpt]

Garson