"screw the pooch"

Wed Dec 18 21:42:14 UTC 2013

It might be useful to look for variant phrasings to trace the shift in
meaning (if such a shift occurred). Here is an instance circa 1977 of
"don't screw the dog with <someone>" that might mean "don't make
mistakes in front of <someone>". The passage also contains "screwing
the dog"

Title: Doctor, Lawyer ...  (ellipsis is in the title)
Author: Collin Wilcox
Page: 14
Publisher: Random House, New York
Year: 1977
(Google Books Snippet; data may be inaccurate)

[Begin extracted text]
“This is Lieutenant Hastings, Ferguson,” Halliday said. “He runs
Homicide, along with Lieutenant Friedman. So, if you'd like some free
advice, don't screw the dog with the lieutenant. In Homicide they've
got nothing but heavy time to hand out. And you can't afford it.”

“Man, who's talking about screwing the dog?” Ferguson protested,
speaking in a soft, plaintive ghetto croon. “I mean, there I was
listening to a little music and entertaining a friend last night, and
the next thing I know, Jesus, you guys're busting down the door. I
mean, Jesus, I was just—”

“You're forgetting about that M-16, Ferguson. Which is ten years,
mandatory Or, for you, maybe a life sentence, since this is your third
fall.”
[End extracted]

Garson