"The Big Apple" -- one more incorrect etymology

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Dec 21 15:30:40 UTC 2013

On Dec 21, 2013, at 10:12 AM, Cohen, Gerald Leonard wrote:

> Barry Popik has informed me of one more incorrect etymology for "The Big Apple". He writes about it on his website (barrypopik.com),
> and I now forward his item to ads-l. Btw, anyone familiar with New York City knows that the suggestion of an apple tree growing
> on every street is nonsense.

You do realize that this "etymology" is proposed by Ron Burgundy, yes?  (Or at least by someone in his biopic, which I confess I haven't seen; I'm not sure what to infer from the wording below--"it's explained".)  I think this is a different category from the seriously proposed (or even seriously bluffed) explanations invoking Eve's Apples house of prostitution or…I seem to have repressed the other suggestions that have appeared in at least purportedly serious print.  A debunking is hardly in order here.

LH